Monday, November 27, 2006

For more information, visit our web site

I've now been on hold with a major, arguably very consumer-friendly technology vendor (hint: it's Dell!) for about 15 minutes. And, while I've got the elevator music on hold so I can continue to work while, I can't help but think about incovenient being on hold can be. Furthermore, being a big fan of lists, I've come up with the top three things I think companies can do to improve the on hold experience (note: not all directly related to the call I'm on now):

1. Don't tell me to visit the web site. Particularly for online firms like Dell (and there are others who do this), I don't think I'm alone in that I only pick up the phone and call after I've already exhausted all avenues on the web site.

2. Provide an out. I know how much more effective automated attendants and IVR systems are for the companies that provide them. However, and especially if I've already gone up and down all the automated attendant menus or been shifted from one department to another (something that should be easily tracked), tell me when I can hit zero or pound to talk to someone.

3. Stick to the elevator music. Every time the elevator music is interupted by a "your call is very important to us...please continue to hold" message, I automatically pick up the handset thinking that it's a human picking up the call, only to have my hopes dashed as I realize it's another recorded message.

2 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And these rules:

4. If you have to tell a caller that their call is very important to you more than 2 times, you've shown them they aren't important at all.

5. If your competitor manages to answer a caller in less than 5 minutes, they won't be your competitor much longer...because you'll be gone.

6. If your tech support people have a script that requires them to instruct us to defrag our harddrive and uninstall all non-oem programs, you'l be gone.

7. If you have to go a blog to figure out how to keep your existing customers, you'll be gone.

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger CORCORAN said...

Here's another one:

"We're currently experiencing a high volume of calls..."

When are you NOT experiencing a high volume of calls??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home