Friday, September 14, 2007

Humour, Good Ideas in Globe & Mail Letters to the Editor

More and more over the last 3-5 years I've found myself deriving enjoyment from newspapers' editorials, op-eds and letters to the editor. My loyal followers will know that the Toronto Sun is a frequent source of joy, brilliance and blog fodder. This time it's the Globe that's caught my attention, starting first with two hilarious letters to the editor from September 5.

First is this letter on the public outcry in response to revelations that Canada has a thriving horse meat economy, written by Fred Bealle of Vanier, Ontario:

When did horses start being pets instead of mostly utilitarian transport that was rewarded by being eaten after long service (Will Canadians Stomach A Horsemeat Industry? - Sept. 4).Cows are nice. I love cows. Cows are very affectionate. You can even ride one if you are not in a hurry. And on the way, the cow thoughtfully provides you with milk and cheese. Find a horse that will do that as efficiently.

I really do not understand why it is horrible to eat horses or cute little canines, and it is okay to enjoy a beefsteak. As for myself, I smugly avoid meats while I tuck into my rice and beans. It's about global warming, you know.

It's about global warming....HA! I'm still chuckling. Next comes George James from Port Hope, who has this to say about the provincial Liberals' election promise to give Ontarians a new holiday in February (the paper titled the letter, All in the family day):

I strongly support the Liberal proposal to add a public holiday known as Family Day in February (February Blahs Mark Ontario's Political Calendar - Sept. 4). It will give my wife time to catch up on the laundry and the housework.

On a more serious note, I think the most insightful, constructive and straightforward letter to the editor I've ever read came from the pen of Parker Quast of Oakville yesterday. Weighing in on the now pivotal provincial election issue of funding faith-based schools tabled by John Tory, Parker says:

I think it is a really bad idea to have kids with different religions split up in schools. This will lead to kids arguing that their religion is right and better than the other, instead of being friends. It will cost so much money just to set up a school to teach one religion. The parents should teach religion at home and, if a school teaches religion, it should be one class that teaches all religions. That way kids will know about them all and won't think there is a ''right or wrong'' religion.

If it's not enough that Parker has a point, consider this....he's ten years old. He's a keeper!

1 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home