Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Too much gay ol' time on their hands

Yikes!

Is it ever easy to let this blogging thing slide. First it was a couple of days, then weeks and, by then, you figure you've got to write something really provocative to justify why you haven't written anything in so long. That leads to further procrastination and, before you know it, it's been three months. By then, what's the bother of trying to share your view of the world?

Luckily, it seems this cycle can be broken. For me, it was three things that sparked me out of my cycle of blogging-funk. The first was when I woke up one morning to find that the most important threat facing the free world is that of same sex marriage defiling what some feel can only be shared between a man and a woman.

In the span of a single week in June, I witnessed State Representatives, Governors, Members of Parliament, U.S. and Canadian Senators, not to mention Bush and Harper, spending not minutes, but hours and (in some cases) days lobbying the media and public to help protect the sanctity of marriage. I even witnessed one spokesperson (although I can't for the life of me remember who) saying the destruction of the institution of marriage is as fundamental a threat to the U.S. way of life as terrorism.

Regardless of where you stand on the issue, is this really what our elected leaders should be spending their time on? Is the war on terror over? What about energy supply, aboriginal land disputes, greenhouse gases, world poverty, gun crime, affordable daycare...and even electoral reform?

As usual - and this was ultimately the final straw for me to say something about it - a comedia/pundit summed up in a few words what I've been trying to get across in my head; in his amusing collection of mini-rants, New Rules, Bill Maher said:

"Sometimes I just don’t understand this country. I don’t get that your air is poison and your job is gone and your son is scattered all over a desert you can’t find on a map, but what really matters is boys kissing."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home