Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Disappointing numbers, but delightful fodder

So after my frantic race to post futures market predictions for the election results on Monday - and declaring my utter fascination with their typical accuracy - I was a little bit disappointed to see that even they didn't predict the hold that the Grits maintained on Vancouver and the GTA, even if they were far more accurate than any poll I've seen.

That aside, I did enjoy the election and ensuing news coverage, complete with upsets, surprises, back peddling and more. From everything I saw and read, here are my three favourites:

3. Global's Early Prediction - I read yesterday that Global was the first network to declare a Conservative minority...at 7:30 p.m. ET!! With recounts and hanging chads being such defining features of U.S. elections in recent years, I thought the networks here would be ultra-cautious about making a call, at least until some of the polls closed. Bold move.

2. Andrew Coyne's Column - The National Post was chock full o' heavily slanted (and quite funny at times) news coverage following the election, but Andrew Coyne also delivered one of the most eloquent lines I've read throughout the campaign. Unfortunately I don't have the article in front of me, but it went something like this: For the first time in more than a decade, the Conservative wave from the West didn't break on the banks of the Rideau, but flowed over into Quebec.

1. Martin's Concession Speech - No matter what your political stripe (I haven't divulged mine I hope!) you had to love Martin's farewell speech. Not just because it was a bit of a tear-jerker, but because it immediately opened a new chapter in Canadian politics. With the Grits still very much alive in Parliament, his resignation instantly made me think of the final scene of from a Friday the 13th movie, where just before the screen cuts to black and the credits role, the (supposedly, finally) dead bad guy opens his eyes. Maybe there's going to be a sequel!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home