Friday, December 09, 2005

I don't get blogs!

I don't get blogs!

Starting my own blog has been on my to-do list for the better part of two years now. And at long last, my theory – that if I shared my intentions with a critical mass of people, their expectations would force me to deliver simply in order to save face – has borne fruit. The last straw came earlier this week by way of an email from my friend Rick Spence, the former Editor and Publisher at PROFIT Magazine who blogs it up at Canadian Entrepreneur. His email (in typical Spence fashion) was quick and to the point, with three out of 12 or so words reading: “Start blogging fast.”

So, there you have it, and here I am.

However proud I may be right now, I must come clean with an admission: I don’t get blogs. I don’t get how they’re any different from the open source code I used almost a decade ago to create a discussion forum on my web site. I don’t get how a blog is any different from a web site that is simply updated daily, or even an ancient Bulletin Board System (BBS) for that matter. What I do know is that I’ve been driven to start blogging out of sheer commitment to staying on the early side of the adoption curve, and I’m hopeful that I’ll get it soon. In the meantime, if anyone can enlighten me on the revolutionary significance of blogs, please do.

2 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Blogger Rick Spence said...

Judging by the time you posted your first blog entry (2:30 AM), I think you figured blogging out. It's less important than work but more important than sleep!

Welcome to the BlogWorld. Why do we do it? Because our personal community is bigger than it ever was before - and we want people to know that we are more than we do.

All the best.

(Just try to spell Partners right next time. It's an important word.)

All the best from a former editor.

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike -

You have to remember to keep up with the Georges.... er.. the Joneses....

Your honesty on the relevancy of blogs is appreciated by some.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home